Reading: Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare; It has become one of my favorite books recently. There are so many rich characters that it sometimes seems that I know them personally. Though it offers a critique of Puritanism, the author doesn't push a message rather than tell the story. Through Kit, we learn there is value to the "Puritan" virtues of discipline, hard work, and seriousness. Where there are condemnation and hatred, we see the fear and bitterness that motivates them. And it lets us see the answer to the dichotomy between law and lawlessness.
The Theif Lord by Cornelia Funke; It is a fun fast read. I wouldn't call it in depth at all, but I would say that it was better than the movie. My favorite part is the way that she ties in magical elements to the ordinary world in a way that makes the not seem that bizarre. AFter all, why shouldn't there be a magical marry-go-round in Venice?
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke; I had read Inkheart and loved it, but have been a little disappointed with the sequel. It is interesting, but I feel that it is much more plot driven and the characters don't seem nearly as enjoyable and slightly more one-sided, but not quite.
Hoping I didn't have pneumonia: I had this nasty cough for about three weeks, but it seemed to be set off more by allergens and breathing irregularly (like while I was singing and such). Singing and running still sometimes set it off, but I think it has more to do with allergies still, because my other allergy symptoms are on the alert and the pollen count for our area is really high. But like I said, it is pretty much gone now.
Movies: March of the Penguins; It was a good documentary, but it was most fun when Thomas put in what the penguins were saying, like, "Oh no, that mean bird eated Jeffery, then he eated Lucas, and I was so 'fraid that he would eated me too!" in an adorable little penguin voice.
Nutcracker performed by Northwest Ballet; One of my previous student was in it, so I was borrowing it from her family. It was enjoyable - I love the music and the dancing was fun - but I still don't appreciate men in tights. And the Sugar Plum Fairy looked and danced like a snob. I don't know if she meant to, but she seemed rather condescending.
Music and the church: They go together. They need to. But music has always been a divisive issue. Why?
Oh and if you think of it, please pray for my grandfather. He is having a lot of health issues right now and we are not exactly sure what is going on. Also it is coming to the point where Grandma and he cannot live alone, but they don't want to leave the farm - really the only place Grandpa every lived - so it will make for some difficult decisions for their children (my mom and uncle) in the days to come.
Long post, but it's been a long time.
good post.
ReplyDeleteglad for the update. are you and Thomas still thinking of coming for Alice's recital? it would be good to see you two!
ReplyDelete