In Kindergarten, we have been studying the Old Testament, but while the Israelites are wandering in the desert for 40 years, we took a break to study the Proverbs, then to study Jesus' life and death and resurrection. I have read the Proverbs and even taught the Proverbs to Kindergartners, but God has opened up some of them in entirely new ways.
Proverbs 10:12 says: "Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers a multitude of sins." As I was teaching it, and telling a little story about two Kindergartners who were having a hard time getting along, I was struck by the beauty of Love covering a multitude of sins.
Not only does Christ's Love cover a multitude of my sins, which in turn enables me to cover a multitude of sins to other people, it also allows me to confront my sin with out guilt. Often when I see that I am doing something I know I shouldn't, or thinking less than kind thoughts, or being lazy, or whatever, I begin to get frustrated at myself. That frustration is really hatred of my sin, but when I let it stay there, that hatred really does stir up strife, both inward and outward strife. But when I take it to Jesus, His Love covers the multitude of my sin, and I am free from that hatred.
It isn't enough to hate the bad things in the world. That will only stir up strife. But when we remember Christ's love, we can let Him cover a multitude of sins, and be at peace.
Who would have thought that even common sense proverbs would point to Christ? Maybe John did when he wrote, "these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:31
No comments:
Post a Comment