Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Thoughts on Easter

I know that it isn't Easter yet, but I have been thinking about how important it is. Growing up, we always went to my Aunt Joy's house (my mom's sister). We usually stayed over night, decorated eggs with my cousins, had an egg hunt, and waded in the freezing cold stream in the cow pasture. But the spiritual side didn't seem to be emphasized any different than any other day. We sang various Easter songs and learned about the resurrection, but we talked about the Easter story all year long. It didn't have any special ceremony to go with it.

After my Aunt died, we didn't go up to their house for Easter. We got together for Memorial Day instead. Easter Morning we listened to James Ward's Morning Sun and 2nd Chapter of Act's Easter Song. On year, I don't remember where it fit chronologically we went to a sunrise service at held at a church that David Brainard founded while he was preaching to the Indians in our area. But the celebrations really centered only around Sunday.

Recently I have been looking a whole lot more at Easter Week. I think it is beautiful to celebrate the resurrection especially on Sunday, but it seems all the more beautiful after especially focusing on his triumphal entry, last days of ministry, passion, and death.

Today we talked about God as King in our attribute study. Pastor Tripp repeated the often used phrase about God's Justice and Mercy culminating at the cross. It struck me that all of the attributes of God culminated at the cross and resurrection. He showed us His holiness by demanding that sin be paid for, but His love by dying for our sins. He revealed Himself as Teacher, Shepherd, Servant, and King! I couldn't think of any attribute that wasn't demonstrated in its most amazing and beautiful way during Christ's death and resurrection.

No wonder it was the turning point of history. God came near to earth and showed us in that moment as much of Himself that we could stand.

That seems reason enough to celebrate to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment