Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Powerhouse Eatery

If ever you should be travelling Rt 80 through Pennsylvania around exit 273, you should stop at the Powerhouse. It was a power plant for a tuberculosis treatment center around the early twentieth century. For many years now, it has been a resturant.

Atmosphere: The table were dimly lit and the music was not too loud. You could hear the voices of other tables but not what they were saying. Our waiter was a good friend from church and he did an excellent job. The pacing of the meal suited our digestion -- liesurely, allowing things to settle before the next food item. The bathrooms were generally clean, though the trash can was not right beside the door. There was one TV over the bar, but the sound was off and it was not overly distracting. Since it was inside a powerhouse, old blowers or mechanical devices hung from teh ceileing, but they were painted and looked impressive. The attire was casual, but the table was set semi-formal.

Food: The bread on the table as we sat down was incredible -- thick without being heavy, soft without falling apart. I dipped my in the olive oil provided, but my husband preferred butter. We both ordered veal of various sorts. With the entree came a salad; we experimented with parmesean peppercorn dressing. It was amazing. I had veal parmigiana. Though I was not able to finish my meal, I did not feel that it was too much. The veal was juicy and covered with parmesean cheese. I enjoyed it thuroughly. My husband had veal madiera which he said was delicous. For dessert we had maple creme brulee. Our waiter carmellized it with his torch at the table! We enjoyed the show.

We came away comfortably full, not overstuffed, happy and contented. I would recommend the restuarant to people in the area, or travelling through.

No comments:

Post a Comment