Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Age is a Funny Thing

As I kissed the boys good night, I noticed how long they were under their covers. Kneeling beside the bed, I could easily imagine their shoulders broadening, and their boyish bodies turning into men. It was a flash-forward for only half a second, but made me pause long enough to be thankful for the moment we are in. 

We figured it out: in 3 years, their ages added together, will be half my age. You know, age is a funny thing. I used to think that 40 sounded so mature. I was sure that by the time I got that old, I would know my place in life, or at least have done something of note. But the closer I get, the less important "things of note" are, and the day to day living makes all the difference. 

I have been thinking recently about "being present." I am not very good at it, because I am always worrying about what comes next or imagining being in a different world. But instead of trying to be someone - either my ideal or who I think I ought to be - I should probably focus more on turning my thoughts toward God. If my thoughts are focused on God and his mercy, then the rest of my being will fall into line with who he wants me to be. And if I am who I am created to be, then I will do what I am supposed to do.

Instead of wondering as I have always wondered "What do I want to be when I grow up?" it starts with "Who God is all the time?" This is a steadier place to grow old in, and in fact, I don't think I will be able to feel old, because God is so much older than I am, I will always be young in knowing him. So it seems to me that age, and the perception of age, is a very funny thing.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I totally identify with the difficulty to be in the present for very long. Some of it is my nature and I should just accept this and stop worrying (lol), but sometimes I should make more of an effort to embrace a moment when I realize one is happening. Don't worry about the missed moments but fully live in them as you find them is my current attitude. Cause you are right--God is in all the moments and is the same. It is reassuring.

    ReplyDelete