Friday, February 23, 2018

Prayer

I really want to pray against people sometimes. I want to pray the imprecatory psalms against people who are intentionally cruel, those who hurt people I love, and sometimes those who hold different positions from those I hold and are nasty about it.

As Thomas reminded me, that probably isn't the best idea. We have other prayers for our enemies than the imprecatory psalms. And Jesus called us to love our enemies and pray for those who hurt us. So what should I pray when I get mad, frustrated, angry, bitter, and vengeful?

Let's start with the Jesus Prayer. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." This reminds me that the biggest problem that I face is my own sin. My attitude toward sinners that I see needs to be the same a Jesus, one of mercy. I must first deal with the anger and bitterness in my own heart before I can be a light for Jesus in a dark world.

Then I can move on to the Lord's Prayer. I especially love the phrase, "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." It is his will that none should perish. He loves sinners. He doesn't want to see his children suffer without him. He draws near to the brokenhearted. It is his will, not that we are comfortable, but that we seek him in our discomfort.

There is so much more in the Lord's Prayer. Give us... our daily bread. Contentment with what is on hand, not longing for something I can't have. Lead us not into temptation (maybe I should avoid Facebook for a while).

And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.

When I get mad and vengeful, is that the way I want God to forgive me? Am I only willing for the grace of God to extend to people who are nice? or those who think like I do? When I rant and rail about the evils in the world, is that the way I want God to view us? Then flip the idea on its head, how did God forgive me? Can I not forgive others in the same way? Why not? Am I better than God?

Now I have prayed. I have prayed for myself, for those in pain and suffering, and those causing the pain, without praying against them at all. Could it be that prayers with compassion are the most effective, because in praying them, our hearts are melded with God's?

Let us pray as the Lord taught us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment