Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Eamon's First Day of School

Today was Eamon's first day of Kindergarten. On Sunday, he was very nervous and didn't want to go. Monday morning, he told me he wasn't so scared. And today, when I walked him up to his room, I asked him if he was ready for me to leave. In a very nonchalant voice, he said, "You can go now, Mom. I'm good." He still looked worried, but was very brave.

At the end of the day, I met him by the door. He saw me and gave me the best hug. He didn't talk much about the day, but asked if he could finish his lunch in the car. Little by little he said bits about the day, who he played with, how he lay still for rest time because he didn't want to get into trouble, the letter i as in igloo, and such. He liked school, although he was very tired by the end of the day.


Something changed today. Instead of a being who is always around, I think he saw me as a person for the first time. It was just a glimpse of who he was and who I was, but the window of the future cracked open for a moment and I caught a snatch of who we could become. It was beautiful and scary at the same time. I am so happy that I get to be his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment