When I was in junior high or high school, my mother suggested that I read Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt. I didn't then, and that probably wasn't the worst thing. I probably was too much like the character to understand it. But one of the students I was coaching for a speech meet read a selection from it. She did a wonderful job and I wanted to know the rest of the story. So in one night, I read the entire book, laughing and crying and completely engrossed in the life of a girl growing up and learning to live for someone besides herself, learning what love means, learning what life is about, and it was really good. It is written at a junior high level, and it would be a good book for them to read, but it is also one that I related to not only as a girl growing up, but also as a teacher and sister watching other girls grow up.
Tonight Thomas watched a movie that I didn't want to, so I watched Julie and Julia. It is a movie about cooking in some ways, but it is more about loving and living with purpose and resolution. It is about dreaming and making mistakes and how love covers a multitude of wrongs. It was a good movie, maybe not my absolute favorite, but definitely one to recommend and one to help fight any disillusionment and cynicism that I may have about my life and dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment