It is play season yet again. Eight days, four practices, one day of vignettes at the mall, one preview at chapel, one live TV interview, 20+ costume pieces to sew, I haven't counted the props yet, a program to make and a chapel message to finish.
This morning, when I got to school and realized how much I had to do, I wanted to just give up. But as the day went along, I got some help from people. Little things really; an encouraging word, help cutting and gluing, conversation, support, hugs, and I am sure prayers. They meant so much and by the time I left school, almost 9.5 hours later, I was not ready to give up, but ready to keep working. God's love shown through the lives of these people.
There were other people this week who didn't help, though I'm sure they meant well. They made me feel like I was the cause of all my trials and changing was the solution. There were some who didn't listen to me, who didn't care what I thought or felt, who wanted to fix me before they heard what the problem was, who asked how I was but didn't seem to really want to know.
It made me think. How often am I the type of person who well-meaning-ly tears people down? I am afraid to answer that because I know too often I do tell people the solution, rather than listen for the real problems. I don't know how to be firm, yet loving; kind, yet productive. This whole "speaking the truth in love" is often lost on me. I can get the truth and I can get the love, but together... well, not usually.
Perhaps I am too self-critical, but I don't want to be like the people whose best intentions pushed me to the ground, whose expectations were burdensome, and whose kind thoughts came out in "you should have..." I want to be the one who shares good news, peace, love, support, because in the face of all things, I have access to the source of good news, peace, love and support.
No comments:
Post a Comment