Monday, May 21, 2007

Wisdom from Snapple and Other Things

Drinking Snapple can be educational. I learned from the bottom of a Snapple Pomegranate Peach Red Tea lid that you must ping-pong for twelve hours to loose one pound.

I also learned that prolonged stress, an odd sleep and eating schedule, with a bunch of immediate stress thrown on top does not lead to a healthy lifestyle. But that in spite of personal crumminess, God is good and gives grace for the moment.

You see, this past weekend was a youth retreat for several churches of similar theological persuasions. It was a good weekend. I was sick-feeling for most of it, and still trying to figure out if I am really getting sick, or if my body just doesn't like what I have been doing to it. The speaker was good and I was encouraged by each of his sessions, and the discussion times after. It was difficult to draw our group of teens out, but I benefited from the questions. I can only hope and pray that God used our ramblings to encourage them. I felt like I was pulling teeth even by asking the simplest and non-threatening questions. The games were fun, (yay, brother!) and the weather was beautiful. Rain and thunderstorms had been predicted, but the sky was blue with big fluffy clouds the whole time, well, at least during the day. At night it was dark and full of stars, and the last night it clouded over. From all reports, the Moon and Venus were impressive before the clouds came in. It rained on the way home when we were in a traffic jam.

I am beginning to think through how much fear motivates us. One of the things that our speaker mentioned was how fear of man often changes the way we perceive the world and our circumstances. I don't have any complete thoughts yet, but I have a feeling that courage and trust are two attributes I haven't explored enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment